High-protein, low sugar – maximum deliciousness!
This is my twist on my Grandma’s Sunday lunch staple “Golden Jelly” dessert.
Step 1: Lemony Custard
- ½ cup lemon juice *
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk **
- 2 sugar free maple syrup (or regular)
- 1 Tablespoon corn flour
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Mix lemon juice and ½ cup of coconut cream with the corn flour, rice malt syrup, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Bring the remaining coconut milk (1 cup) to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the yolk mixture.
- Cook gently for 2-3 mins (stirring to avoid curdling).
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
* If you’d prefer just a vanilla custard (which is just as yummy), just replace the 1/2 cup of lemon juice with another 1/2 cup coconut milk.
** You can use regular milk if you prefer and if dairy agrees with you
Step 2: Marshmallow Cloud
- 1 tablespoon gelatine
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons rice malt syrup (maple or honey works too)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Soak Gelatine in 1 Tablespoon cold water and set aside
- Heat the syrup in a small saucepan until bubbling. Remove from heat and stir in the gelatine and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites stiffly and pour in the syrup until mixed well (mix on a slower speed while adding syrup – try to keep it moving through or gelatine mixture will solidify and form lumps).
- Pour marshmallow into one serving bowl or several smaller ramekins/bowls
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Once the marshmallow is set, top with custard and chill or … dig in!
Optional: Top with whipped cream and dark chocolate or berries!