My take on the kiwi summer staple – potato salad! Personally, I find this much tastier and less stodgy without the overload of cheap filler dressing…but, if you are a fan of the stuff, then try slathering this salad with one of the options below …
- 500g washed potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee
- Coconut oil or Olive oil
- 2-3 stems spring onions
- 1/2- 3/4 cups of cooked peas
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh coriander and mint – roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees bake
- Cut potatoes into halves or quarters so that they are medium to small chunks
- Lay out potatoes on an oven tray and coat them in spices, salt and pepper, ghee and oil
- Roast until cooked and outsides are golden
- Once potatoes are cooked and slightly cooled, toss chopped spring onions, herbs and cooked peas through. Add additional salt and pepper to season as needed.
Option A: Yoghurt
Using a thick, plain and unsweetened greek yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt), finely chop some cucumber and mint and stir through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lemon Juice can also be nice. Drizzle over Roast potato salad.
Option B: Wholesome Mayo
Blend together: Place 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, a pinch of paprika, salt, 1 tsp dijon mustard into a blender. Allow to settle for a few minutes. Then add 3/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Allow to settle for a couple of minutes and then blend until combined. Chill, then drizzle over potato salad.
*Why not just use a packaged potato salad dressing or mayo? Almost all of the dressings you can buy are made with vegetable oil (canola, sunflower, soybean) which is nasty stuff … not to mention sugar, preservatives and emulsifiers.