Green Veggie Open Omelette
This Frittata style omelette makes a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner! Packed full of protein, nutrient rich veggies and satiating fats, to me, it is the perfect meal!
- 12 eggs
- 1 brown onion
- 1 leek
- 1 head broccoli (or a couple of cups of frozen/cooked broccoli florets)
- 1 cup lightly cooked spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 2-3 large orange kumara, cut into 0.5mm-1cm slices & cooked (optional)
- Grated cheese
- Coconut oil or Ghee
- Salt & Pepper
- Portobello Mushrooms
Note: I used silicone cake pans for mine (I wanted to serve individual round open omelettes and these allow me to cook them simultaneously in the oven and are easy to flip out. But you can also divide mixture into ramekins or loaf tins (use baking paper for easy serving), or, just one big pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee in a large pan
- Sauté onion and leeks
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with some salt & pepper
- Add in onions & leeks (once cooled) along with cooked spinach and broccoli
- Divide mixture into cooking vessels
- Grease silicone cake pan with coconut oil or ghee
- Layer cooked kumara slices on the base of each pan (leave out for keto)
- Evenly spread the veggie mixture between pan
- Evenly distribute egg mixture between pans (I did two ladles per pan – you want the egg mixture to almost cover the veggie mix
- Add 2-4 tomato slices to each omelette and sprinkle with cheese (optional)
- Place omelettes into a pre-heated oven (180ºC) and cook for 15-20mins (until egg mixture is set) … you can pop the oven on grill for the last few mins if you want more of a crispy top
- To serve, I flipped each omelette out onto a spare plate and then flipped (right side up) onto serving plate. Then top with your sides or garnishes.
- I added two rashers of bacon to each, 2 grilled Portobello Mushrooms, some fresh Watercress, Green Herby Chermoula and Beetroot Sauerkraut. Seasoned with some cracked pepper, and popped a bit of Aioli on the side
- Adapt the recipe to suit your tastes or preferences. You could obviously include the mushrooms and bacon in the omelette mixture if you prefer.